Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Finished: Jaywalker Socks

I am primarily a transit knitter.  Much of my knitting is done in ten minute snatches while I'm waiting for or on the bus.  Train travel, which happens about once a week for me now, is also excellent for handwork.  Big lace projects have claimed the train knitting time lately, so the bus knitting time goes to socks and hats and other simple things that can be started and stopped easily.  One shouldn't underestimate the bus knitting time, though; I spend 20-40 minutes a day on public transit of one form or another, and as the weather gets warm enough for me to knit while standing at the bus-stop, that will only increase.
This is how, while bigger projects get all the screen time, a finished pair of socks pops into the Knitbook without previous mention.  These are my recently cast-off Jaywalkers.  The Jaywalker is one of Grumperina's most famous designs and a fine example of her skill in pattern-writing.  She provides little details for a nice finish as well as ample information on the techniques used, so no previous sock experience is needed for this pattern.  The chevrons do wonders for self-patterning yarns, and as this yarn has so much patterning going on, I doubt any other pattern could compliment it as well.  The yarn is Opal, and while not soft, it is sturdy enough to handle several froggings without looking ratty.  I think I did a good job of matching yarn to pattern here.


That being said, I am not thrilled with these socks.  For one, the angles in each row mean these socks don't hug my feet well.  The smallest size didn't fit over my heel, so I ended up ripping out three inches of first attempt to restart with the medium size.  I ended up with a pair of socks slightly too big.  This is most annoying around the leg and the top of the ankle; the foot is more comfortable, possibly because the stockinette bottom can conform to my foot and the patterned top doesn't have to.  Still, I wouldn't call these my most comfortable socks.
As for the yarn . . . it's quite the mix of colors, isn't it?  I still haven't decided what I think of putting all those colors together in one garment.  The yarn looked much more turquoise-dominated in the skein.  Also, as I was knitting, the skein turned itself into this:
Not pretty.  Opal makes nice sock yarn, but this wasn't the most tractable skein they've produced.

Time will tell what happens with these socks.  They might grow on me.  They might become attached to a family member.  Either is a worthy future, and they are a good, if oddball, pair of socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment