This is the second handmade I included in my fairy tale swap package. I have found that I like to come up with three or four handmade ideas for these swaps, because something invariably goes wrong in making one or more or them. After the tammy, I knew I wanted to do something with roses, because roses are a feature of two of my partner's selected fairy tales. I knew my partner had a small daughter, that she read fairy tales with . . . and fairy tale costume items then seemed like a good idea.
So I went to ravelry and did a pattern search. I didn't like anything that I liked in the first couple pages. Instead, I made up my own pattern for a rose crown. The roses were made following these instructions, but using shorter starting chains to make rose buds. I knit the headbands so that they would be stretchy, and simply cast on three stitches and knit until the bands were long enough, where long enough was fourteen inches because that seemed reasonable for a toddler girl.
Then, the morning when I needed to ship this package, I sat down with some additional green yarn and sewed on all the roses. It is important to crowd the flowers together at this point; otherwise they stick out funny when the crown is worn.